Skip to main content

post-snow weekend

The big news of the week was snow in Jerusalem and elsewhere above 500 meters.  Our community is at 250 meters, so we saw lots of rain and some sleet and hail.  The boys were very excited and played in the sleet.  Somehow, it seems much different than the days that my brother and I played in the snow at -2 Celsius.

This marks the first weekend that people actually reserved space ahead of time.  We are expecting two girls from Midreshet Harovah, two girls from Michlala and two boys who are pretty much family. 

This week also marks my second son's 17th birthday.  We celebrated during the week, but will continue to make his favorite foods for the weekend.  Given the cold weather, the food is also rather heavy and warm...

Dinner - 19
Roasted Red Pepper soup
Beef Burgundy
Creole Turkey
Sweet Potato and Peanut stew
Hot dogs ( for a picky 7 year old)
Rice
Garlic green beans
Lettuce salad

Lunch - 14
Sweet potatoes
Simon and Garfinkle Chicken (parsley-sage-rosemary and thyme)
Stir Fried peppers
Lunch meat
Chicken Jumbalaya
Israeli Salad
Rice

Recipes:
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
8 large onions chopped
1/2 Tbsp dried basil
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 Tbsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
6 roasted red peppers
1 400 gram (8 oz) can of tomatoes
2 Tbsp ketchup
8 cups water/vegetable stock
Salt and Pepper



Sweat the onions and garlic until soft
Add all of the spices
Add the tomatoes and the peppers
Puree the whole thing until smooth
Simmer for one hour

Creole Turkey
1 1/2 Bell Pepper diced

3/4 c Celery diced
2 800 gram cans of crushed Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Garlic powder
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp crushed red peppers
1 tsp salt

4 cups Turkey, cooked & cut up

Put everything in crockpot. Leave for most of the day. Serve over cooked rice. 

From the Kitchen of: Joan Mershon



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A change of pace (Kidney Failure)

I have been trying to keep this blog focused on hospitality and food.  God though has other plans for his creations and I find now that I will have to expand the scope to cover new topics.  I'll try to continue blogging about my menus and our guests, but expect more posts that have little or nothing to do with food. In February of this year, My second oldest son, Asaf was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. Simply put, both his kidneys are damaged and scarred from some infection or defect that happened years ago.  They will likely cease to function sometime within the next six months. The good news is that there is no immediate danger to his life.  Kidney Dialysis is a viable option and can maintain his health for up to ten or more years if necessary.  Unfortunately, the process is not easy and there are potential side effects. Given Asaf's generally excellent health and age, Kidney Dialysis is considered only a stop-gap measure and not a long term solution. The best solutio

Unusual pesach meals part 2: Zupa Chrzanowa

What was I going to do with the horseradish root that I used for the pesach seder?  5 inches of spicy goodness.  Then I found this recipe for Zupa Chrzanowa,  Horseradish soup. I tried to keep close to the version in the link.  I made my vegetable stock from kitchen leftovers, carrot peels, onion skins, the green parts of leeks, celery and artichoke trimmings.  All parts that I would usually just throw in the trash.  They too contributed to my cooking today. Ingredients 1 carrot diced 1 stalk celery diced 1 onion diced 5 inches of horseradish (2 in diameter) grated 1 large potato diced 8+ cups of Vegetable stock 2 Tbsp olive oil Instructions Saute the carrot, celery and onion in hot olive oil until soft Add the diced potato, grated horseradish and vegetable stock (or water) simmer for 1-2 hours puree using an immersion blender or food processor Serve hot Update: Major failure.  The soup came out very very bitter and I'm pretty sure the culprit was the vegetab

TX +2 days

The transplant was on Monday afternoon. As I write this, its Wednesday afternoon. Call it 48 hours since my son received his new kidney. My wife and I are taking shifts at the hospital. She had the first night, I had the second. Tonight is her turn again. I just got back from the hospital and that's why there have been no posts. There is no Internet in the transplant ward. Medically, my Asaf is doing VERY well (as is the donor). When we went in, Asaf's creatinine level was about 6.4 mg/dL (GFR: 12). It means that his kidney was pretty much not doing anything. Today, we got the latest results. His new creatinine is 2.03 mg/dL (GFR: 46). That's better than my own and almost in the normal range (0.9 - 1.2 mg/dL). Each day its getting better and better. What this means is that his new kidney is working! He is able to eat a normal meal and is no longer on a restricted diet for kidney disease. This is great news! Our next hurdle is to make sure that his body does not reject the n