Kidney update #4

Flash: My son's transplant is currently on hold.

The hospital is extremely careful with respect to potential donors. For my son, he needs a transplant. There is nothing we can do to change that. The donor, on the other hand, does not need to donate their kidney and should not donate unless they are healthy.

Its that last "healthy" that we are trying to confirm. All medical tests needs to be in the normal range in order to accept the donor. Now most people are naturally different. In our donor's case, there are a few minor issues that need to be retested and confirmed before the hospital will do the transplant.

We heard about these issues last Thursday. Today we spend the morning at the hospital waiting and doing a few new tests. The donor still has some more tests to complete.

It is not important what tests still need to be redone, since that is a personal issue. I can tell you that we redid the tissue matching today. Even though my son and the donor passed the matching about a month ago, they still need to do it again, just to be completely sure.

Assuming all the tests are good, we are still looking to do the transplant sometime during the three weeks after Pesach. If there is a problem, then we will need to restart with a new donor, and that will take about 2-3 months.

As you may guess, we are somewhat nervous and tense about the process. We continue to hope for the best.

Comments

Melissa said…
Your son is in my prayers.

I pray that all works out well with this donor match

May you and your family have a good Passover.

Melissa

Popular Posts