Skip to main content

Back to life

I don't like the summer in Israel. Its too hot and the sun is painful. I try and stay in as much as possible. Last weekend, I was in Cleveland. I grew up there and some of my family still lives there. The four days I spent there were glorious. The temperature was in the 70's and there was a nice warm rain. That kind of weather is one of the things I miss most living in Israel. That, and my family. It was very nice to see everyone.

I have a really nice time cooking for Shabbat in Cleveland. My mother (may she live in peace and health) is not a spice person. I found a container of cayenne pepper that must have been at least ten years old. My biggest problem was that there is no black pepper in her house! I feel like I use black pepper almost as much as salt. Oh well, I'll make sure to bring some along next time I visit.

The middle of the summer is also a time of mourning in the Jewish calendar. The last nine days of that period are just painful. Things go wrong for no obvious reason, tempers are short and we don't do laundry, so everyone looks a bit off. Fortunately, the nine days ended yesterday! Oh Joy! Oh Rapture. We can get back to life again.

This weekend, we get back into the swing of things. We have lots of company, but not from big families. Instead, we get a tasting. A few people from a number of different families. Tonight, we have Sergio, his three boys, and Moshe and his parents. Tomorrow, we have Judy and her daughter, Claudia and her husband and Adena and two of her boys. We also expect to see my army son and his fiancee.

So what did I make? Spicy food. Cleveland is great, but my family is not big on spices. I love peppery food, so this weekend, I made up for eating bland foot during the nine days. The Louisiana Turkey Pull packs a punch. Its a great way to use what is called "Red Meat" in Israel. It is deboned turkey legs, and if you cook it long enough, it falls apart into soft stringy meat. I also had some veal sausages, so I made a nice greek sausage dish. I used small pickled peppers. For lunch, made a stir fry with banana peppers. There's good eating at the Jaffe's this weekend!

Dinner - 14
Oriental Soup - ginger, garlic, carrots, bell peppers and green onions
Prepare Shnitzel
Rice
Roasted Yams
Peas
Israeli Salad

Lunch - 16
Meat Roll - Chicken Wellington
Stuffed Pargiot with Mushrooms and Sun Dried Tomatoes
Chicken Stir Fry with Zucchini and hot peppers
Roasted Potatoes
French Lentil Salad - by Claudia
Garlic Green Beans
Green Salad
Pickles



Comments

Talia said…
Welcome back!
How did the Turkey pull come out? Did you serve it with the drizzle sauce?
Elliot said…
Nice to be back home. I did add the drizzle sauce to the dish. It came out VERY spicy, but with a nice depth of flavor. I loved it, but I thinks its too much for most of my guests (sort of like Kimchi). I will be eating is as leftovers for lunch this week.

Popular posts from this blog

A change of pace (Kidney Failure)

I have been trying to keep this blog focused on hospitality and food.  God though has other plans for his creations and I find now that I will have to expand the scope to cover new topics.  I'll try to continue blogging about my menus and our guests, but expect more posts that have little or nothing to do with food. In February of this year, My second oldest son, Asaf was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. Simply put, both his kidneys are damaged and scarred from some infection or defect that happened years ago.  They will likely cease to function sometime within the next six months. The good news is that there is no immediate danger to his life.  Kidney Dialysis is a viable option and can maintain his health for up to ten or more years if necessary.  Unfortunately, the process is not easy and there are potential side effects. Given Asaf's generally excellent health and age, Kidney Dialysis is considered only a stop-gap measure and not a long term solution. The best solutio

TX +2 days

The transplant was on Monday afternoon. As I write this, its Wednesday afternoon. Call it 48 hours since my son received his new kidney. My wife and I are taking shifts at the hospital. She had the first night, I had the second. Tonight is her turn again. I just got back from the hospital and that's why there have been no posts. There is no Internet in the transplant ward. Medically, my Asaf is doing VERY well (as is the donor). When we went in, Asaf's creatinine level was about 6.4 mg/dL (GFR: 12). It means that his kidney was pretty much not doing anything. Today, we got the latest results. His new creatinine is 2.03 mg/dL (GFR: 46). That's better than my own and almost in the normal range (0.9 - 1.2 mg/dL). Each day its getting better and better. What this means is that his new kidney is working! He is able to eat a normal meal and is no longer on a restricted diet for kidney disease. This is great news! Our next hurdle is to make sure that his body does not reject the n

B"DE Clark Evenchick

B"DE = Baruch Dayan Emet, Blessed is the truthful judge. This is the traditional jewish response to hearing that someone has passed away. My friend Clark Evenchick passed away last night. He suffered for a number of years from ALS. His passing is both a loss and a blessing. We will miss his wit and his powerful presence. On the other hand, ALS is a terrible disease for both the patient and their family. As the body becomes less responsive, the family and caregivers need to spend more and more time providing physical and mental support. Clark's passing frees both himself and his family from this disease. Clark built our house. At one time, he ran a construction company. Clark was not only an honest contractor, but also a joy to work with. At a time when most houses took up to two years from ground breaking to residence, Clark built our house in 7 months. Whenever there was a problem, we were more than comfortable telling him to find his own solution. I believe that