Skip to main content

Followup - Erev Yom Kippur

We had a very nice shabbat. Our three guests, Elka, Sarah and Ariela were very nice. They participated in shabbat preparations and helped out the whole time they were with us. We even got them to play Killer Bunnies. They were real troopers, because while this game usually lasts about 45 minutes, our game lasted close to three hours. Kudos to their determination. Ariela almost won the game, holding 16 of the 20 carrots at the end, but Joey was the lucky recipient of the fated magic carrot and hence the winner.

On Erev Yom Kippur, we prepare to receive judgement for the coming year. I had a very visceral experience with one of the more odious sins, Spreading a Bad Name. This malady is specifically when people spread true stories about a person that cause that person hurt or loss. I inadvertently told someone about a conversation that I had, and that led directly to this sin. I'm disappointed that this happened and will try to work harder in the coming year. One person suggested to me that when you hear such a story, you should say: That is inappropriate and I would prefer not to hear about it. I'll take that message to heart.

The afternoon before Yom Kippur, there is a tradition to eat a festive meal before the fast. We have a standing invitation with some of our friends for this meal, because it is my third son's birthday. He was born the morning before Yom Kippur at a birth clinic in Pittsburgh, PA. We arrived home with the baby by mid-afternoon and had a nice meal before the fast. Now, 18 years later, our baby is grown and in 12th grade. We are proud to be able to continue celebrating with him.

The upcoming fast is going to be a bit strange. Our past years experience with Kidney Disease (transplant and laproscomy) have led to the situation where my son Asaf and I are unable to fast. Asaf needs takes anti-rejection drugs and must have a full meal. Since he cannot miss a day, he is going to be eating on Yom Kippur, complete with Wine and Blessings. Very few people get this kind of legal treatment. I cannot become dehydrated, so I'm going to be drinking. I'll try for a water fast. The traditional trick of "eating" less than an olive every twenty minutes is not going to be enough, since I need to have at least 3 liters of water a day. So I'll be sitting with Asaf and drinking while he eats. This should be interesting.

Our meal today is traditional. Low on spices and acids, high on carbs and proteins. Just the thing for a pre-fast meal. One of our guests is a vegetarian, so we'll try and provide enough for the omnivores and the veggie.

Erev Yom Kippur
Lunch - 11
Two Whole Roast split chickens
Grilled London Broil
Pasta (plain)
Zucchini garlic sauce (for the pasta)
(plus some leftovers from Shabbat)
Grasshopper pie ( a birthday favorite)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A change of pace (Kidney Failure)

I have been trying to keep this blog focused on hospitality and food.  God though has other plans for his creations and I find now that I will have to expand the scope to cover new topics.  I'll try to continue blogging about my menus and our guests, but expect more posts that have little or nothing to do with food. In February of this year, My second oldest son, Asaf was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. Simply put, both his kidneys are damaged and scarred from some infection or defect that happened years ago.  They will likely cease to function sometime within the next six months. The good news is that there is no immediate danger to his life.  Kidney Dialysis is a viable option and can maintain his health for up to ten or more years if necessary.  Unfortunately, the process is not easy and there are potential side effects. Given Asaf's generally excellent health and age, Kidney Dialysis is considered only a stop-gap measure and not a long term solution. The best solutio

B"DE Clark Evenchick

B"DE = Baruch Dayan Emet, Blessed is the truthful judge. This is the traditional jewish response to hearing that someone has passed away. My friend Clark Evenchick passed away last night. He suffered for a number of years from ALS. His passing is both a loss and a blessing. We will miss his wit and his powerful presence. On the other hand, ALS is a terrible disease for both the patient and their family. As the body becomes less responsive, the family and caregivers need to spend more and more time providing physical and mental support. Clark's passing frees both himself and his family from this disease. Clark built our house. At one time, he ran a construction company. Clark was not only an honest contractor, but also a joy to work with. At a time when most houses took up to two years from ground breaking to residence, Clark built our house in 7 months. Whenever there was a problem, we were more than comfortable telling him to find his own solution. I believe that

TX +2 days

The transplant was on Monday afternoon. As I write this, its Wednesday afternoon. Call it 48 hours since my son received his new kidney. My wife and I are taking shifts at the hospital. She had the first night, I had the second. Tonight is her turn again. I just got back from the hospital and that's why there have been no posts. There is no Internet in the transplant ward. Medically, my Asaf is doing VERY well (as is the donor). When we went in, Asaf's creatinine level was about 6.4 mg/dL (GFR: 12). It means that his kidney was pretty much not doing anything. Today, we got the latest results. His new creatinine is 2.03 mg/dL (GFR: 46). That's better than my own and almost in the normal range (0.9 - 1.2 mg/dL). Each day its getting better and better. What this means is that his new kidney is working! He is able to eat a normal meal and is no longer on a restricted diet for kidney disease. This is great news! Our next hurdle is to make sure that his body does not reject the n